Friday, November 2, 2012

The Healing Power of Crochet


Well here is a post about the art and it's relation with psychology, when I started this blog my intentions were to talk about the healing power of art, with its different ways and forms.
 But my articles developed too many different configurations while studying art therapy. During all this period I had the chance to explore with different materials and forms and to discover the different healing ways of each practiced art.

Here is an unconventional material that I’ve been exploring these couple months as a healing and relaxing material I don’t know if they use it in other art therapy discipline but in my college we don’t use it.

The Yarn, I don’t know what pushed me to choose this material, in art therapy we always start by choosing and selecting out the materials, then exploring it, and placing it into different forms .
 The yarn can give you a tactile and visual experience, when you see a yarn for the first time, especially the people who never work with it, they will touch it and feel it with their hand and eyes, because the colours that you can find in yarns can give you the impression of a painter’s palette which is amazing feeling.
And this is exactly from where my curiosity for yarn and crocheting started



Why crochet? Because crocheting can very quickly give you a form and it is quite easy to start with.
Especially when you are doing squares, you don’t need much concentration, they grow quickly and it can put you in a meditative state at least from my point of view.
So here is a photo of one of my projects, I hope it will inspire you, as for me it has been so gratifying  and healing to complete crochet projects

  Smiley face in crochet

“Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” ~ Pablo Picasso

What is your kind of art that washes the dust of your everyday's life ?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    Art therapy, this is so interesting... I would like to know more about it... Thank you for sharing.
    Does scrolling down pinterest inspiring images count as art appreciation therapy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria this is sooo cool! so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cool Maria...so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write a comment your opinion is important to me.